Your PROFILEYour Profile consists of your personal information that informs other users as to your background, interests, what you're reading, who your friends are, etc. It is your personality on the Sumbola site, and you have control over how much or how little you share. There are defaults that the site has developed to help people balance privacy with sharing, but some users might prefer to share more openly or be more selective in how much they disclose on the site. This is a personal decision. In basic terms we have a "share responsibly" policy. We recommend sharing your Profile with members of the Sumbola platform so other members can find you and you can develop friendships with other members and help contribute to the ongoing expansion of the site and its content.
Your FRIENDSYour Friends are those who have seen your Profile and decided to "Be-friend" you, or have accepted your friend request. If you allow friend requests this enables other members to reach out to you and invite your friendship. Sometimes, users will want to take a break from developing new friends so they may elect to turn this feature off. You can choose to have your friends visible in your public profile so others can see who your friends are.
Your STATSYour Stats are informative to other members who are interested in seeing how active you are on the Sumbola platform, what books you're reading, etc. Some members may use this information to determine whether to "Be-friend" you or not. We recommend sharing your stats with members of the Sumbola community. When you share with "everyone" you are including those who find your profile through a Google search and are not necessarily members of the Sumbola community. This works the same way with other social media sites.
Your MAP LOCATIONYour Map Location is based on your IP address by default. This provides an approximate location, roughly a 5-mile radius of your location, but can be significantly less accurate in some areas. If you want it to be precise you will need to provide your street address in the Geolocation tab of the Profile. The advantage of sharing your location with members is that they can locate potential friends that live in their same city on the ReaderMap. This makes it much easier to connect locally if you have an interest in study groups or would like to have a chat at the local coffee shop with someone who shares your interest in the book CoSIs of Sumbola.
Your BOOKSThe books that you're reading can be shared so other members can see what you're reading and how far you are in a particular book. It helps members to connect. You can share your page notes and chapter comments that you've taken as well as your bookmarks and highlights.
What information do we collect?1. We collect information from you when you register on our site or fill out a form in your Profile.
What do we use your information for?Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs).
- To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you).
- To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs).
- To process transactions.
- Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the service requested.
- To send you targeted emails, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences.
- To prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our Terms of Service.
How do we protect your information?
- We store and process your personal information on our servers in the US and Canada, and we protect it by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable US and Canadian federal regulations. We use firewalls and data encryption, we enforce physical access controls to our facilities.
- We encrypt our cookies so that only we can interpret the information stored in them. You are free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our website. We may also collect information about your computer or other access device to mitigate risk and for fraud prevention purposes.
Extended Validation SSL CertificateWe use Extended validation, or EV throughout our website, which provides an extra layer of assurance on top of traditional SSL security technology. As with traditional SSL, the new EV SSL certificates are served to your web browser using the same level of encryption protocol. The difference is that Sumbola Inc. has gone through a more extensive validation process, giving you visual clues to indicate this extensive validation. This allows you to have greater confidence when using our website.
Our EV SSL certificate offers enhanced visual clues to assist you in recognizing when security is enabled on our website. To indicate that security is enabled, EV SSL certificates still utilize the traditional gold padlock and the URL conversion from http:\\ (standard) to https:\\ (secure). However, the installation of an EV SSL certificate will also activate a color change in the URL address bar of a browser window, changing the bar to a green highlighted color.
The PCI-DSS-compliant Payment GatewaysThe Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) dictates the security requirements of accessing, transmitting and storing credit card data. By using PCI Level-1 Compliant payment gateways, it means that they go through rigorous on-site audits, penetration testing and inspections in order to obtain the highest level of compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).
- Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer's hard drive through your web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service provider system to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
- We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This excludes trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be utilized for marketing or other uses.
- We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act). We do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.
Terms of ServicePlease also visit our Terms of Service section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website.